Wednesday, May 13, 2015

uncle David comes to visit!

On Thursday was Michael's day off.  It started with everyone going for a good run and then David gave Michael an eye exam.  After they returned and after Alden returned from school we headed to the U of A where we visited the science museum.  I wasn't expecting much but was surprised to see how well they planned out there museum in a small amount of space.  There was plenty to learn and plenty of fun activities for all ages.  We all really enjoyed it!

Benson our animal lover, loved looking at all of the pictures of animals.  Alden and Calvin enjoyed the interactive computer games, the rock tumbling thing, and the rock climbing wall.  It was nice having so many extra hands to help the boys do anything they wanted to do!







On Friday Michael had to work so he missed out on this next adventure... This is a place that we pass every time we drive between Phoenix and Tucson and I said from the day we came out to interview that we would have to visit but we've never gotten around to it.  It was the one thing I put on the list to do when David and Andrew were out here.  It is an Ostrich ranch.

We started off by feeding the Donkeys, we then fed the deer, the goats, the ostrich, the prairy dogs and then these colorful birds.  I think Benson and I were the biggest into the whole feeding thing.  I think eventually everyone was willing to let the donkeys eat out of their hands.  I'm pretty sure I was the only one to feed the deer.  (The deer leave a nice slobber all over your hand and sometimes you can feel their teeth...I should not have explained this after I fed them because then nobody was willing to try feeding the deer.)


You can see in these pictures how they chose to feed the deer... do you see Andrew stretching his hand out to set food on the ground so that the deer can eat, that is how everyone else chose to feed the deer.


Benson would laugh every time he fed an animal.  It was a lot of fun to see how much he loved feeding the donkeys and the goats!!

I was definitely the only one to feed the goats with my mouth.  I told them that maybe we shouldn't show these pictures to Michael because he might not want to kiss me after he saw them...it turns out that after seeing them he was still willing to kiss me!  (He just made sure to ask if I had done a thorough cleaning of my face and mouth. :) )




Calvin loves animals but from a distance and did not want animals feeding out of his hands.  He did feed the Ostrich though.  (The ostrich you feed them by putting food in a bin because you don't want to get to close to them because as you might imagine they bite.)
Benson feeding the goats.  He really loved feeding the goats!  One time he left his hand out too long and actually got bit but he still wanted to feed them as soon as the pain subsided.

This next place was an adventure, and through us all off guard.  When walking into where these birds were the only thing they told us was that the kids could not hold the nectar to feed the birds.  Once we walked in we understood why.  The picture above was taken right after we walked in the room.  A bird came right and landed on my head and soon thereafter they all started flocking over and landing.  In my hand by Benson I have the nectar that right after this picture was taken two birds swept down, landed on my hand and opened up and proceeded to drink.



The pictures above are the only ones we got of the initial shock,  So great!! I really loved this part.  The picture below is of Andrew after the nectar was all gone and the birds had calmed down.  All of the co-motion had scared the boys.  David let them out of the room because they really were scared.  I was able to convince Alden to come back in to look at the birds once they had calmed down but Calvin would not come back in.  So other then scaring the boys a little I would have to say this bird house was by far my favorite part of this little adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment